Where is Demosplash?
Demosplash is held in Pittsburgh, PA, USA at Carnegie Mellon University in the Cohon University Center (CUC). Events will be occurring on the second floor in and around the Rangos Ballroom. Follow the official directions to get to campus and then follow our signs around the Cohon University Center.
Where Can I Park?
After 5:00pm on weekdays and all throughout the weekend, the Morewood Gardens Parking Lot is open and free to use. That means free parking right nearby for almost the entire demoparty.
Note: Parking at the East Campus Garage is no longer free on nights and weekends, although discounted rates are available.
For details or more options, see CMU's official parking guide.
Where Can I Stay?
There are several hotels within walking distance of the Carnegie Mellon campus.
Two close ones are:
How Can I Get Around?
Pittsburgh has a bus system.
Taxis are not common in the city, and must be reserved in advance by telephone unless starting from the airport. Uber and Lyft have a pretty extensive presence in the city.
Where Can I Eat?
Registered attendees who have purchased a meal ticket will be provided dinner on Friday and Saturday.
Additionally, various snacks and small foods will be available to all attendees throughout the event.
Alternatively, the following restaurants are within a 10-minute walk of the event, heading west along Forbes Avenue:
- Ali Baba - 404 S. Craig St. - Middle-Eastern
- Chipotle - 4611 Forbes Ave. - Burritos
- Crêpes Parisiennes - 207 S. Craig St. - Crêpes (breakfast/lunch)
- EatUnique - 305 S. Craig St. - Sandwiches (vegetarian/vegan friendly)
- Lucca Ristorante - 317 S. Craig St. - Upscale Italian
- Orient Express - 4609 Forbes Ave. - Chinese
- Rose Tea Café Express - 416 S. Craig St. - Asian
- Starbucks - 417 S. Craig St. - Coffee
- Union Grill - 413 S. Craig St. - American
Lastly, here are a few places a bit further out, but still within walking distance, that we recommend:
- Hemingway's Café - 3911 Forbes Ave. - American
- Masala House Indian Bistro - 5102 Baum Blvd. - Indian
- Piada Italian Street Food - 3600 Forbes Ave. - Fast Italian
- Primanti Brothers - 3803 Forbes Ave. - "Pittsburgh style" Sandwiches (open late)
- Stack'd - 3716 Forbes Ave. - Burgers
- Tamarind - 257 N. Craig St. - Indian
- Viva Los Tacos - 3901 Forbes Ave. - Tacos (open late)
What Should I Bring?
If you'd like, you may bring a personal computer or retro machine.
Guest wireless Internet connectivity and limited power will be available.
Rules and Policies
Take care around retro hardware, as it can be fragile and is difficult to replace or repair.
Do not damage University property.
If you spill something, ask for help from an Organizer or clean it up.
Weapons, drugs, and/or anything else against University policies or Pennsylvania laws are not permitted under any circumstances.
Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at the event (sorry!).
Smoking (including all cigarettes, cigars, e-cigs, vaporizers, etc.) on the CMU campus is permitted in designated areas only.
Please do not smoke or vape inside or near the entrances of buildings.
Attendees are not permitted to stay in the building after the end of the event each night.
See hotel suggestions above.
Attendees are not permitted to make professional video or audio recordings of the events.
Photography and short videos for personal non-commercial use are permitted, but request permission before photographing people or their equipment, as some people are sensitive to this.
Permission to photograph or record presentations is at the discretion of the speaker(s).
Attendees are expected to adhere to all COVID-19 protocols in effect, as communicated by event and facility staff, at all times. At this time, restrictions have been lifted but in the event that the University reinstates public health measures, all attendees and event staff will be expected to comply with them.
Organizers reserve the right to expel or refuse entry to attendees who are disruptive to the event or are in violation of these policies.
Expelled attendees shall not receive any refunds of registration fees and shall forfeit all competition prizes.
Organizers assume no responsibility for attendees' belongings or actions.
We're all for getting future generations excited about demos, digital art, and hacking in all its forms, so we welcome you to bring your children -- with free admission for those under 16 -- subject to the following warnings:
- Organizers assume no responsibility for their safety.
- There are no explicitly kid-centric activities in the Demosplash program.
- Many demos contain adult content.