Where is this?
Demosplash will be held in the Gates Hillman Center (Computer Science building) of the Carnegie Mellon University campus in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Most events will occur in and around the main auditorium at the front of the building (Forbes Ave entrance), so follow signs to the front entrance.
Also feel free to print out a campus map if you wish to explore the campus.
How do I get there?
See the official directions to campus for detailed instructions by your favorite mode of transport.
Where can I park?
After 5pm on weekdays (or as soon as the parking lot gate is raised, often as early as 3pm) and anytime on weekends, the Morewood parking lot directly across the street is open and free to use. This means free parking right across the street for the entire demoparty. But don't leave your car in the lot beyond these times, as it will be ticketed.
For other options, see the official parking website.
Where can I stay?
There are a number of hotels within walking distance of campus. See hotel information for the coincident Art && Code 3D conference for convenient options and the campus visitor accomodations site for a complete list.
How can I get around?
Pittsburgh has a reasonable bus system. See the local port authority website to view routes and fares, or use your smartphone. Taxis are not common in the city, and except for trips starting at the airport must be reserved by telephone in advance.
Where can I eat?
Dinner (sandwiches and/or pizza) will be served both Friday and Saturday for attending CMU affiliates and registered visitors. There will also be cookies, muffins, donuts, and drinks throughout the event. For other meals or different fare, a variety of restaurants lie a short walking distance from campus, most on South Craig Street or further west down Forbes Avenue near the University of Pittsburgh.
- Ali Baba (404 S. Craig St.) - Middle Eastern Food
- Chipotle (3619 Forbes Ave.) - Burritos and the like
- Crepes Parisienne (207 S. Craig St.) - Crepes
- Eat Unique (305 S. Craig St.) - cafe and sandwiches
- Kiva Han (420 S. Craig St.) - coffeehouse
- Lucca Ristorante (317 S. Craig St.) - upscale Italian
- Lulu's Noodles (400 S. Craig St.) - Asian of various kinds
- Orient Express (4609 Forbes Ave.) - Chinese
- Panther Hollow Inn (4611 Forbes Ave.) - gyros, pizza, sandwiches (open late)
- Primanti Bros. (3803 Forbes Ave.) - "Pittsburgh style" sandwiches (open late)
- Star of India (412 S. Craig St.) - Indian
- Starbucks (417 S. Craig St.) - coffeehouse
- Union Grill (413 S. Craig St.) - salads, burgers, seafood, full bar (open late)
What else can I do?
This event is held coincidently with the Art && Code 3D DIY sensing/visualization and Microsoft Kinect conference likely to be of common interest.
The Pittsburgh Maker Faire is occurring on Sunday, the day after Demosplash.
What should I bring?
No need to bring anything at all. Unfortunately there is no space for personal desktop computers, but there will be plenty of sitting room for laptops. Feel free to bring event-specific items (some interesting piece of hardware for the retro clinic, your favorite games for any gaming event, your own lockpicking tools for the lockpicking event, etc).
What else do I need to know / what am I allowed to do?
Please see the rules & policies for info on that. Mostly, don't be a dick, and don't leave anything of value unattended.